Building Permit Applications - Online
The Village of Elm Grove is now offering a new convenient way to submit building permit applications online. Community Core™ is a quick and easily online permitting solution that allows applicants to submit permits at their own convenience. Save yourself the inconvenience of traveling to Village Hall, and sign up for Community Core™ with an easy onetime registration. To register for an account, please send your contact information via email to the Waukesha SAFEbuilt offices at firstname.lastname@example.org. A response email will be sent to you with a link for account activation.
Building Permit Information
- Building/construction permits are required for work done to both the interior AND exterior of all structures in the Village. Building plans must be also submitted or uploaded if your building project has alterations. Typically, exterior work also requires review by the Building Board.
- Projects that require Building Board review include building additions, exterior alterations, fences, decks, and gazebos. Please visit the project checklists page for a complete list and for application materials.
- The Building Permit Addendum (PDF) is required along with application materials submitted for Building Board review.
- Building Fee Schedule (PDF) for all residential and commercial construction projects.
- Rough and final inspections are required.
- Permit Forms:
ACT 211 Requirements for New Home Construction
Act 211 requires that new home construction be completed by verified contractors in the State of Wisconsin and reported to the Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS) accordingly. DSPS has created an online Building Permit System for submitting new home construction permits directly to the State. Additionally, Act 211 requires all new home construction applications use the Wisconsin Uniform Building Permit.
- Need assistance navigating the DSPS online Building Permit System? DSPS Reporting Guide (PDF)
- Wisconsin Uniform Building Permit (PDF) - Use for new home construction only
- DSPS Online Building Permit System
Building Permit Extensions
Under the Wisconsin Uniform Dwelling Code (UDC), all permits expire two years after the date of issuance. The Village of Elm Grove requires that any expired permit be renewed by means of a permit extension. Please note that any permit extension will include additional fees payable to the Village. All permit extensions are coordinated through the Building Inspector.
Zoning Permit Information
- Conditional Use Permit (PDF)
- Required for those uses listed as conditional in the Code of Ordinances.
- Demolition Permit (PDF)
- Required for tearing down a structure.
- Plan of Operation (PDF)
- Required to operate a business in Elm Grove.
- Special Exception (Online Application)
- Required to build within the setback area, if the proposed addition will not be closer to the lot line than the current structure.
- Variance Request (PDF)
- Required if a project is proposed to be at variance with the requirements of the Village Code of Ordinances. View Findings Required (PDF) to grant a variance.
- Sign Permits
- For placement of a temporary sign on the applicant’s property - View and Complete the Temporary Sign Permit for Businesses (Online Application) and/or Church/Civic Groups (Online Application)
- For placement of a permanent sign on the applicant's property - View and Complete the Business Sign Permit Application (Online Application).
- Portable Storage Container Permit (Online Application)
- Required for the placement of a portable storage container on an applicant's property.
For information on Public Works permits, please visit the Public Works Permit Information page.