Learn more about teens and smoking from your D.A.R.E. Officer or from our Tobacco Facts Sheet (PDF).
- Smoking causes breathing problems & heart disease.
- Smokers have more colds & upper respiratory problems.
- Smoking is the most common cause of lung cancer.
- There are 200 known poisons in cigarette smoke.
- The poisons in cigarettes can affect your appearance by giving you yellow teeth, dry skin, wrinkles, and bad breath.
- Cigarettes contain nicotine-a powerfully addictive substance.
- Tobacco affects your body’s development, which is important because your body is still growing and changing!
- SMOKING IS the leading PREVENTABLE cause of death in the USA. Over 400,000 Americans die from tobacco-related causes each year. Most of them began using before the age of 18.
- Smokeless tobacco (chewing tobacco) can cause mouth cancer, tooth loss, dehydration, and other health problems.
- Smoking puts the health of your friends and family at risk because approximately 3,000 non smokers die of lung cancer each year from breathing other people’s smoke (second hand smoke). That is about half the population size of Elm Grove!
- It is illegal to sell tobacco products to anyone under the age of 18 in the US.
- Cigarette smoke contains Carbon Monoxide.
- The use of E-Cigs has tripled in the last few years. Even though they are illegal for anyone under 18, they are the most commonly used tobacco product among youth. Vaping information (PDF)
The BEST choice to SMOKING IS, JUST SAY NO!!!