Guard Against Burglary
Our Village has recently experienced a rash of burglaries to homes, businesses, and vehicles. We encourage all residents to lock their doors, be aware of their surroundings, to not let strangers inside your home, and remember that you are always suspectable to becoming a victim. We request that you report any suspicious activity by calling 262-786-4141 as soon as possible.
While you are out of town, make use of the free "house check" service offered by the police department.
Businesses, help the police department help you; keep your contact information updated and practice smart security procedures.
- Be tuned in to your surroundings.
- Don't be taken by surprise.
- Be aware and prepared, even in your own neighborhood.
- Walk confidently.
- Don't show fear.
- Don't look like a victim.
Trust Your Instincts!
- If you feel uncomfortable in a place or situation, leave right away and get help if necessary.
Always remember, no matter what time of year you are shopping, to:
- Stay alert to your surroundings and the people around you.
- Shop with a friend, there is safety in numbers.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Pay for purchases with a check, credit or debit card.
- If possible, carry only your drivers license, personal checks or necessary credit or debit cards.
- If you must carry a purse, do not wrap the straps around your arms or shoulders. Carry a clutch purse tightly under your arm or wear a fanny pack.
- Do not carry a wallet in a back pocket. It should be placed in a front pocket of your pants for safety.
- Be alert that crooks look for the "high dollar" shopping bags with your purchases. When possible, slip bags/purchases in a plain nondescript bag.
- Watch purchases while eating in mall food courts; bags can easily be switched or taken.
- Educate your children about what to do if they are lost as well as "Stranger Danger".
- Don't overburden yourself with too many packages. Use store's package pick-up.
- Have your car keys ready in hand before leaving the store.
- If you do return to your vehicle to unload purchases, place them in the trunk of the vehicle or cover them so they are not visible through the window.
- Try not to shop until the store closes. Remember, fewer people are present at this time.